GSuite extract emails and save copy of mbox as Admin without knowing users password?

GSuite extract emails and save copy of mbox as Admin without knowing users password?

Is it possible?

You can do this with FEC using domain-wide delegation. That said, the output would be in EML, MSG, and PST formats rather than mbox.

If you must have mbox output, and if the G Suite organization is on a plan with Vault, you can use Vault to export in mbox format. We have a writeup on the cons and pros of each method here: https://www.metaspike.com/google-takeout-vault-email-forensics/

1 Like

so with [domain-wide delegation] I will be able to collect 30 PST for each user?

If you have 30 users in the organization, you can authenticate using a service account and collect each mailbox as a PST.

you can authenticate using a service account and collect each mailbox as a PST. - please explain more detail…

Figure it out. FEC ROCKS!!!

Great! Just in case, we have a video walkthrough here—delegation discussion starts around 43:30.

1 Like

If we have access to a service account, is there a way to automate exports for a large number of mailboxes via this method e.g. input csv with target mailboxes?

Yes! Once you set up domain-wide delegation, you can add a list of mailboxes as additional targets and batch-create their acquisition projects. You can then start/resume those using the supplied batch file, or split them up and run them on multiple computers in parallel.

We have some more info on this here:

This also applies to regular acquisitions without delegation (e.g., Yahoo). In that case, you would need to include passwords for each additional target in your target list file.

We also have a quick walkthrough of this in the last webinar recording here (minute 43):

I seem to be having challenges with collecting all users on the gsuite domain. I am logged in as a super admin and added the delegation permissions as outlined. I added a properly formatted text file of the additional user accounts to be collected and allowed time for the delegation permissions to take effect, however, I am still only being presented with the single user I am logged in as for data collection.

Has Google made any changes that would affect this? I ask because I tried with another tool and had the same results. So my thinking is that I am really, truly doing something wrong (and unable to follow directions) or something has hampered the ability to perform a domain-wide collection.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi there,

Could it be that you are not pressing the “Create Additional Projects” button?

The workflow is as follows:

• Configure domain-wide delegation of authority and load the JSON file into FEC for authentication
  • Create a list of your targets and load the list into FEC as additional targets
  • Configure your in-place search query if needed
  • Click the “Create Additional Projects” button so that FEC creates an acquisition project for each target
  • Use the supplied batch file to run the acquisitions in series or parallel in unattended mode

That looks to be EXACTLY what I wasn’t doing. Doh!

I don’t know how I missed that. Thank you!

1 Like