I have been thinking about starting a series of Tools of the Trade posts to introduce some of my favorite tools to others. I feel that this is a great time to start as one of my all-time favorites, Directory Opus, has a major discount going
Some of you (such as @jon.munsey) might be familiar with DOpus back from the early 90s when it was first launched on Amiga
DOpus has come a long way since then and it is one of the first few tools I install on a new workstation. A few features you might find helpful in the DFIR context:
- Ability to open multiple panes within a single window which makes working with files a breeze—Norton Commander style.
- Queue up multiple file operations to run one after the other.
- Preserve creation and last modification timestamps of files during transfers.
- Bulk rename files.
- Securely delete files.
- Split and join files.
- Calculate cryptographic hashes.
- Create file listings.
- Automate things with scripting.
- Edit file system metadata of files (useful for testing).
- Calculate folder sizes.
- Synchronize folders.
- Find duplicate files.
- Connect to FTP/sFTP sites.
- Use the software from a flash drive in portable mode.
and more. Check out their website for details:
I decided to put this post on the fast track because they are having a 40% holiday sale until January 27th, 2020. Use the coupon code NEWYEAR2020.