Forensic Email Collector v3.13 Released

We have just pushed out FEC v3.13. In addition to the numerous under-the-hood improvements, this version introduces two major new features:

Unified Query Builder

This feature has been requested in various contexts since we released the in-place search functionality in FEC. Some of you wanted an easier way to construct IMAP searches, and some of you really wished we had a date picker and a label picker for Gmail searches.

All that valuable feedback culminated in a unified query builder that brings a common interface to Gmail / G Suite, Exchange / O365, and IMAP searches. Here is what it looks like:

Once we completed work on the Unified Query Builder, I was pleasantly surprised by how concise and efficient the search queries we have been able to produce were. Even if you don’t mind putting search queries together with a text editor or spreadsheet, I suggest you play with the Unified Query Builder and take a look at how it forms the in-place search queries.

Packaging Drive Attachments/Revisions with Parents

It is now possible to package Google Drive attachments and revisions with their parent messages. This helps form a parent/child relationship and allows you to run the entire family through subsequent investigative or eDiscovery steps.

packaged_drive_att

Packaging is possible for MIME and MSG output and can be done at the time of the acquisition or after the fact as a post-acquisition action.

output-options

I have already updated the download links in the community and you can find the complete list of changes in FEC’s changelog. I hope you enjoy the new features!

We have just added/updated the following articles in FEC’s online documentation to cover the new functionality:

Using The Unified Query Builder
Acquiring Google Drive Attachments of Emails